Why do people Convert to Islam ?
There are many benefits of converting to Islam
- One forms a personal and direct relationship with God by worshipping Him alone, without the need of intermediaries. One feels this personal relationship and is aware that God knows everything and is there to assist him/her.
- A person realizes the true purpose of his or her life, which is to recognize God and follow His commandments.
- A person is provided with a light, which guides him/her through life. The religion of Islam has answers to all situations, and one will always know the right steps to take in all aspects of life.
- One finds true happiness, tranquillity, and inner peace.
- Upon converting to Islam, all of one’s previous sins are forgiven, and one starts a new life of piety and righteousness. And as a Muslim, when one makes a mistake, thereafter he/she can always repent to God directly, who forgives the sins of those who repent to Him sincerely. There are no intermediaries or created beings to make confessions to.
- One achieves salvation from Hellfire, which all prophets have warned against.
- The greatest benefit is that a Muslim is promised by God the reward of eternal Paradise (Heaven). Those who are blessed with Paradise, will live eternally in bliss without any sort of sickness, pain or sadness. God will be pleased with them and they will be pleased with Him. In fact, in Paradise there are pleasures that no eye has ever seen, no ear has ever heard, and no mind has ever thought of. It will be a very real life, not spiritual only, but physical as well. Understanding that God can forgive any sins that one may have committed which He has asked us to abstain but He will not forgive who associates partners with Him.
How to Convert to Islam – The Testimony of Faith (Shahada) :
Becoming a Muslim is very simple and an easy process. All that a person has to do is whole hearted BELIEVE in One God ( Allah) and to state the Testimony of Faith – proclaiming the Shahada, One has say the following :
I testify “Asshadu an La ilaha illallah, wa Asshadu Aunna Muhammadan Rasool Allah.”
Translation of these Arabic words means, “I bear witness that there is no God worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.” Once a person declares the Testimony of Faith (Shahada) with conviction and understanding its meaning, then he/she has become a Muslim.
The first part, “There is no true deity but God,” means that none has the right to be worshipped but God alone, and that God has neither partner nor begotten son. The second part means that Muhammad is a true and final Prophet sent by God to humankind.
To be a Muslim, one must also believe in the 6 Faiths :
- To belief in Allah
- To belief in Angels
- To belief in Divine Books
- To belief in the Messengers
- To belief in the Last Day
- To belief in the Destiny (Qadr of Allah)
The Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) said, “Islam has been built on 5 Pillars :
- Testifying that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammed (PBUH) is the messenger of Allah
- Performing the Five daily prayers (Salah)
- Paying Zakah, (Charity)
- Fasting in the month of Ramadan
- Making the pilgrimage to the House of Allah (in Makkah),” [Saheeh Al-Bukhari: : Saheeh Muslim]